Home » Reflections » OpEds » Andrys’s Op-ed Draft…..

Andrys’s Op-ed Draft…..

Racial inequalities in the mental health field throughout the United States

Hurricane Maria served as an example on how the American government failed and mishandled its citizens. Specifically, it highlighted racial disparities in the United States. Time and time again, history has shown that the American system was created to serve a very specific type of American: white Americans. Citizens of color do not have an equal voice to those privileged white citizens. With this Op-ed, I hope to explore racial inequalities in the mental health field throughout the United States. I plan to explore the increased incidence of psychological difficulties in the Black / Latino community as a result of lack of access to appropriate and culturally responsive mental health care, prejudice and racism inherent in the daily environment of Black / Latino individuals, and historical trauma enacted on the Black / Latino community by the medical field.

I am tossing around the idea of creating a video Op-ed for this final project. Personally, I would like to use this as an opportunity to explore a creative outlet and incorporate another art form.

1. This is a great topic, but be sure to consider the struggle of Puerto Ricans in their recognition as citizens as well. This may actually help your argument in their inability to have an equal voice.

I think a video would be very interesting and unique, but what would be the style of the video?

2. I really think this is an amazing idea, as someone who struggles with mental health and is Black I think it is very important to shed light on issues within our communities and mental health!

3. A video op-ed would be very interesting. Just find some videos you like and use their style and format to apply this topic.

This topic also lends itself to video as video clips are especially powerful here. Words may not represent with a lot of words what one picture can.

Whether it’s people recovering from natural disasters like Maria, Dorian, or Katrina, or unnatural disasters like Tulsa and Rosewood in 20s, the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s, or the tragic way reconstruction was handled after the Civil War the list of footage on this topic is unfortunately very long. Even just talking about the medical field you have the Tuskegee experiment, Puerto Rico birth control trials, Dr. Sims here in NYC to name a few.

4. This is a great idea Andrys, and I would love to see someone explore video. Here is a professional one that I did: https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/1905116722911776/ As Pat suggests, you will want to put together some images. (You can also download footage from YouTube etc) and then do a voiceover track on a program like I-Movie. There are also simpler options, here is an example of one I did with just my Iphone and a graphic (also edited on Imovie) https://www.facebook.com/YarimarBonillaPhd/videos/575768726226799/

In terms of the content you will want to write a short script, and keep in mind the topic of the class. Maybe start with mental health for disaster vicitims then open up broadly from there. ALso, you might want to note that Puerto Ricans have the highest mental health problems of any other Latino group in the US. (A statistic I only just recently discovered!) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00127-019-01653-6

5. I think this is a really good idea. I agree with Lia that I think including Puerto Ricans specifically with their struggle for recognition as equal citizens will tie everything together. I think this is an important topic to discuss, and I am looking forward to see what media you find to add to this!

6. I think it would be awesome to see a video made from this. There are so many statistics published to support your idea behind “The AMerican System.” This idea has great potential and I’m interested to see how it will turn out!

7. I think this is a good start but it needs to connect to the study of Puerto Rico. There are some topics you can see for evidence in what we did in class like the netflix video of the hurricane survivors came to New York.